Published 23rd April 2018
Bexley has almost 250,000 residents (2017)1. Children and young people (under 25) account for 31% of the population, whilst older people (aged 65 and over) account for 16%. Projections up to 2050 show an ageing population; over 65s will make up 22% of the population.
Bexley is also expected to become more diverse. In the 2011 Census, the Black and minority ethnic population accounted for 18%; this is estimated at 22% in 2017 and projected to rise to 27% by 2030.
- Bexley is growing – by 2040 up to 300,000 residents
- Growth is across the Borough; and Erith Ward sees largest growth
- Ageing population – over 75’s see projected growth of 90% (2017 to 2050 growth)
- More diverse – nearly 30% of residents with be from BME population by 2030
- Smaller households and more households by 2040. 93,000 in 2011 rising to 125,000 by 2040, and size decreasing from 2.495 to 2.35 over the same timeframe
More information can be found in Bexley “Facts & Figures” which includes information on population (current and projections), age, ethnicity, country of birth, and more.
1 GLA population estimates https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/projections/